Paper Terminology

Antique Finish
Paper with a rough, sized surface used for book and cover stock
Art Paper
A paper evenly coated with a fine clay compound, which creates a hard smooth surface on one or both sides.
Basis Weight
Basis or basic weight refers to the weight, in pounds, of a ream (500 sheets) of paper cut to a given standard size for that particular paper grade.
A grade of durable writing, printing and typing paper that has a standard size of 17x22 inches.
Coated one side, refers to coated paper choices. You can order a cover paper that is only coated on the outside. It makes the cover stiffer, which is desirable in a cover.
Coated two sides. Both sides of the cover paper are coated, making the inside better suited to 4-C printing.
The measurement of thickness of paper expressed in thousandths of an inch or mils.
Cast Coated
A paper that is coated and then pressure dried using a polished roller. As a result it is very shiny or reflective.
Coated (paper)
Paper coated with clay, white pigments and a binder. Better for printing because there is less picking.
Coated Art Paper
Printing papers used for printing projects that require a special treatment of detail and shading.
Coated Stock
Any paper that has a mineral coating applied after the paper is made, giving the paper a smoother finish.
Deckle Edge
The rough or feathered edge of paper when left untrimmed.
The surface quality of paper.
Finish (paper)
Dull - (low gloss) also matte or matte gloss. Other finishes are glossy or satin.
Direction of fibers in a sheet of paper governing paper properties such as increased size changes with relative humidity, across the grain, and better folding properties along the grain. In printing it is advised not to use cover or text stock printed and folded “against the grain” as it will be harder to open a book.
Grained Paper
A paper embossed to resemble various textures, such as leather, alligator, wood, etc.
Grams per square meter, weight used in Asia instead of pounds. 157 gsm = 100#, 128 or 120 gsm = 80#, 100 gsm = 70#
House Sheet
This is a term that refers to a paper that a printer keeps on hand in his shop. It is usually ordered in bulk and is often more economical than any papers that have to be ordered for a particular project.
Inside back cover.
Inside front cover.
Ink Holdout
A quality of paper to be resistant to ink absorption, allowing the ink to dry on the paper surface.
M Weight
The actual weight of 1000 sheets of any given size of paper.
Machine Coated
Paper that has had a coating applied to either one or two of its sides during the papermaking process.
Matte Finish
A coated paper finish that goes through minimal calendaring. Reference, calendaring.
A term to describe papers that have a color similar to that of wood; also called cream, off-white or ivory.
A light, low cost groundwood paper made especially for newspapers. Reference, groundwood.
Offset Paper
A term for uncoated book paper.
A light bond paper used for typing and used with carbon paper because of its thinness.
Quality of papers that defines its opaqueness or ability to prevent two-sided printing from showing through.
A quality of paper that allows relatively little light to pass through.
A hard finished paper that emulates animal skin; used for documents, such as awards, that require writing by hand.
Plate Finish
Any bond, cover or bristol stock with an extremely smooth finish achieved by calendaring.
The quality of papers to show reproduced printed images.
Rainbow Colored Binding Paper
Available in 70# or 80# weight with standard and specialty colors and textures. An uncoated strong binding paper, made in the USA.
Recycled paper
Recycled paper uses a certain percentage of paper that has been recycled.       
500 sheets of paper.
A term for unprinted paper or other material to be printed.
Tensile Strength
A paper's ability to withstand pressure.
A high quality printing paper.
The rough surfaced finish of papers such as vellum or antique.
A finish of paper that is rough, bulky and has a degree of tooth.
Velour Paper
A term given to papers that are coated with an adhesive and then flock dusted.
A translucent logo that is embossed during the papermaking process while the paper slurry is on the dandy roll. Reference, dandy roll
Writing Paper
Another name for bond paper.
Xerographic Paper
Standard8.5” x 11” uncoated paper used in Xerox machines, usually 20# o 24#

Go Back To Glossary Index